Report to TAVP

Bookmark and Share

Transgender Anti-Violence Project Partners

City Of Sydney

gender centre .org

Inner City Legal System

NSW police

I wish to make a report to the Transgender Anti-Violence Project. I understand that support is only available to people living in Australia.

I authorise The Gender Centre Inc. to record, maintain and use the information I provide on this questionnaire for any, or all, of the following purposes:

  • Maintaining a database of transgender/transphobic-related violence
  • Research relating to transgender/transphobic-related violence
  • Compiling data for the purposes of any reports, fact sheets or investigations, or other similar or related purposes

I understand that the Gender Centre will maintain my confidentiality in relation to any of the information I have provided.

I understand that any information used in the preparation of research or reporting to Government or funding bodies will not include my name or other details identifying me.




Concerned about reporting?

It is normal to feel anxious or apprehensive about reporting difficult experiences. Some of the major reasons why individuals might have concerns about reporting transphobic violence, discrimination or harassment may be:

Why should I report?

  • First and foremost, by reporting any incident that occurs, you can access many different kinds of support to ensure a positive outcome for you. This support might be in the form of advocacy if you wish to go to the police, or it might be a referral to a counselling service.
  • The information that you provide can be used to create a picture of the issues that are facing the transgender and gender questioning community today, for example: how often is violence occurring? Where does it occur the most? Does it affect one particular age group more than any other? And so on. Even if you require no further service or support, by giving us this information, you are helping us to work out where our support is needed the most in the transgender community. We can then use this information when we advise government, policy-makers and other organisations, to ensure that the services they provide are as targeted and effective as possible.

Confidentiality: where does the information go?

  • Whatever information you give to the TAVP or the Gender Centre will remain confidential, and your name and other identifying information will not be released without your permission (unless required by law).
  • As mentioned above, it is very useful for us to have accurate and up to date statistics about rates and types of violence. Your information will be disaggregated (meaning that all identifying information will be removed) if it is used in a report, for example.

What action do I need to take if I report to the TAVP?

  • Whatever action you choose to take is completely up to you. You are not required to access any services whatsoever if you do not want to. The TAVP support staff are here to give you as much or as little support as you require.

 What can you expect when you contact the police?

  • The police will ask you some questions and ask for a statement. If you are interviewed in person, they may take photographs. They might also ask whether you are prepared to appear in court if necessary.
  • You can ask for the police to contact the TAVP staff directly, and we can then assist you throughout the process. If the support worker accompanies you to the police station, they will make a note of the time of the report, the name of the officer taking the report and what information was supplied to you.


Reporting to police

If you wish to also report the incident to the police, the TAVP staff can support you throughout that process. We can do this by:

  • Accompanying you to the police station
  • Organising a meeting with the police at an alternative location (for example at the Gender Centre)
  • By acting as an advocate for you throughout the process. Our role as an advocate is to ensure that your best interests are protected, and that you are treated at all times with dignity and respect.

Alternatively, you can report incidents directly to the police, who can then contact the TAVP to initiate the support process. The TAVP has been fortunate in building close working relationships with local police, and firmly believes that they are as committed as we are to eliminating transphobia. To report directly to the police:

  • Call triple zero
  • Attend a police station
  • Call the Police Assistance Line on 131 444.

 When you report to the TAVP, you can provide as much information about yourself and the incident as you feel comfortable with. The more information you provide, the more support we can offer you.